- This event has passed.
Industrial Symbiosis Explorations: Construction & Demolition Forum
November 16, 2021 @ 1:30 pm - 3:00 pmFREE
Join us on Tuesday, November 16th from 1:30 – 3:00 PM PT to learn more about a new materials exchange tool in Washington. This virtual session will focus on Construction and Demolition Materials with a panel of industry experts representing the building community, salvage companies, local governments and nonprofits.
C & D debris makes up nearly 12% of the City of Tacoma’s waste stream at the transfer station. In King County, C & D materials must be processed at designated facilities. Diverting C & D material from the landfill can generate significant cost savings, energy savings, and create new jobs and business opportunities. We’re looking to convene our ecosystem of stakeholders and businesses around an easy-to-use resource that will help align our efforts to reduce and reuse our C&D materials.
The Washington Materials Marketplace is a free, online platform for businesses, organizations and entrepreneurs to sell or gift their leftover raw or by-product materials. This platform aims to create a closed-loop, collaborative network where hard-to-recycle waste and by-products become another organization’s raw materials.
- Daniel Kietzer, Director of Ecosystem Growth, Rheaply
- Marcus Hopper, Senior Design Manager, Gensler
- Dirk Wassink, President, Second Use Building Materials
- Kinley Deller, C & D Diversion Specialist, King County Solid Waste Division
- Katie Kennedy, Waste Diversion Lead, Seattle Public Utilities
- Quest Jolliffe, Partner/Superintendent, Sledge Seattle and Co-Owner of IQSOLUTIONSLLC
- Beth Jarot, Resilient & Green Building Specialist, City of Tacoma (co-moderator)
- Erin Adams, Executive Director, Seattle Good Business Network (co-moderator)
- Nico Onoda-McGuire, Sustainable Business & Circular Economy Program Manager, Seattle Good Business Network (co-moderator)
The Washington Materials Marketplace is funded by the Washington Department of Ecology, and is a collaborative effort of the City of Tacoma, Seattle Good Business Network, the US Business Council for Sustainable Development, and Rheaply.
Register in advance for this meeting at :
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. If you have any questions, contact Beth Jarot at gro.amocatfoytic@torajb or 253-208-4351.
We recognize a platform like the WA Materials Marketplace is but one tool to address C&D waste and reuse, and through this panel we hope to:
- Explore our panel of experts’ thoughts and ideas around the usability and potential impact of a free and easy to access resource: The WA Materials Marketplace
- Create a unified space for you, practitioners, and industry experts, to share your perspectives on C&D waste prevention and reuse efforts
- Introduce our collective goals around expanding and supporting local industrial symbiosis, its overlap with circular economy principles